Phone: 031 260 1409
Office Address: Room 116, Howard College, Memorial Tower Building
Current research projects:
- Rural transformation and the making of a post-apartheid rural citizen
- Reconfiguration of the idea of a public sphere and public violence in KwaZulu-Natal, 1900 – 1910.
- The ANC Century: A KwaZulu-Natal Chapter, 1900 – 2012 (forthcoming)
- Provisional Title: Power and Public Discourse: Umvoti mission reserve and the politics of economic experiments in nineteenth century Natal, 1850–1900 (forthcoming)
- Provisional Title: Epistolary networks and political imagination in 19th century KwaZulu-Natal.
|Editorial: History and Heritage, Journal of Natal and Zulu History, vol. 28 (2010)|
|History and Heritage: Socio-economic profiles of six former American Board Mission Stations in southern KwaZulu-Natal, Journal of Natal and Zulu History Vol. 28. (2010) (With Ntokozo Zungu, Ethekwini Municipality)|
|The Post-Apartheid Condition and the Dilemmas of Imagining a Nation in South Africa in Guðmundur Hálfdanarson (ed.) Discrimination and Tolerance in Historical Perspective (Pisa: Pisa University Press, 2009)|
|Foreword and consultant editor, Countries of the World: South Africa (Washington: National Geographic Society, 2008)|
| Excavating a Usable Past: the Politics of Christian Missions in South
Africa with Special focus on KwaZulu-Natal, 1850 – 1910, in Harris, M
(ed.) Sights and Insight Interactive Images of Wider Europe and the Wider World (Pisa: Pisa University Press, 2007)
|“Ekukhanyeni Letter-writers: An inquiry into epistolary networks and
political imagination in KwaZulu–Natal, 1890 – 1900”, Barber, K (ed.) Africa’s Hidden Histories: Everyday Literacy and Making the Self (Bloomington: University of Indiana Press, 2006)
|Political rights, land ownership and contending forms of representation in Colonial Natal, 1860 – 1900, The Journal of Natal and Zulu History, vol. 21 (2005)|
|“The Class of 1856 and the politics of cultural production(s)” in Draper Jonathan A., (ed.) The Eye of the Storm: Essays on Bishop John William Colenso 150 Years after his Consecration as Bishop of Natal in 1853 (London: Sheffield Academic Press & Cluster Publications, 2003)|
- 2006 – 2010: Research Development Initiative for Black Academics (REDIBA) (National Research Foundation).
- 2005: University of KwaZulu-Natal Competitive Research Fellowship.
- 2001 – 2002: International Dissertation Field Research Fellowship (Social Science Research Council & American Council of Learned Societies).
- 2000 – 2001: Prestige Scholarship Award (National Research Foundation).
- 2000: Pre-dissertation Research Award (International Institute, University of Michigan).
- 2000: African Initiative Fellowship (Center for African-American and African Studies.
- 1999 – 2000: International Institute Fellowship
- 1998 – 1999: African Initiative Fellowship (Center for African-American and African Studies)
Editor of the Journal of Natal & Zulu History
Contributing Editor of Comparative Studies of South Asia, Africa and the Middle East (CSSAAME)
- Culture & History: 19th & 20th century KwaZulu-Natal
- Topics in African History (East & West Africa)
- Critical Approaches to Oral & Public Histories
Current Graduate Students
- Nosipho Thabethe
- Title of Thesis: Inheritance from a time of Conflict in South Africa: The Woman behind Hugo Bartel Speak Out
- Mwelela Cele (co-supervised with Dr. Thembisa Waetjen)
- Title of thesis: Consolidation of common purpose: A critical history of the Bantu social centre, 1933 – 1960.
- Mthunzi Zungu
- A history of African soccer in Natal from 1948 – 1994 with special focus on AmaZulu Football Club
- Vashna Jagarnath (co-supervised with Prof. Keith Breckenridge)
- Title of thesis: From South Africa to the World: The politics of writing and the making of the Mahatma, 1893 – 1914.
- Mduduzi Percival Ngonyama
- Title of thesis: Redefining Amakhosi Authority from ‘personal to Territorial’: An Historical Analysis of the Limitations of Colonial Boundaries on African Socio-political Relations in Natal’s Maphumulo Region, 1980 – 1910
- Council member of the National Heritage Council (NHC), South Africa