- BA(Hons); MA;MSc; PhD
- Migration; Indian Diaspora, Anthropology of Development; Sustainable Development
- Theory; Research Methods; Sustainable Development; Applied Anthropology; Households and Families.
Awards and Honors
- University of Cape Town Scholarship(1982); HSRC Bursary (UCT: 1983); Nelson Mandela Scholarship (LSE: 1983-4); UKZN (2012-2014): Research Grant on India-Africa Relations in the 21st Century).
- 2009: Gerelene Pattundeen: PhD completed
- 2010: Koombi Sausi (MA); (PhD) Current
- 2011: Zaheera Jinnah (PhD): completed
- 2011: Nadene Harisunker (MA): completed
- 2012: Aneesah Khan (MA); Sabelo Zondi (MA): completed (PhD) Current
- 2012: Soomaya Khan (PhD) current.
- 2014: Sheetal Bhoola (PhD): Under Examination
- A special project on indigenous knowledge systems and sustainable development, as well as on Children, Childhood and Youth was supported by South Africa’s National Research Foundation and the Indian Council for Social Science Research (ICSSR India.) Thus far I have visited Sambalpur University in November 1999, and a reciprocal visit was made by Dr. Deepak Behera to UDW in September 2001. Work in our respective fields has already begun. Currently I am the convenor for the Commission for Migrant and Diaspora Studies, IUAES which collaborates with scholars on the subject from all over the world; Editor of “Journal for Sociology and Social Anthropology”; Currently preparing for the IUAES Inter-Congress in Bangkok, Thailand (15-17 July 2015) .
- (Current) China and India in Africa;
- India and its Diaspora through the PBD: Identity bonding or ‘call for money’?