- PhD Candidate School of Sociology and Social Studies, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Sociology
- Masters of Social Science at University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban, South Africa (KwaZulu-Natal) Sociology
- Bachelor of Social Science Honours at University of Natal, Durban, South Africa (KwaZulu-Natal), Sociology
- Bachelor of Arts at University of Asmara, Asmara, Eritrea, Sociology and Anthropology
- I am currently working towards the completion of my PhD, supervised by a SANPAD project team of supervisors affiliated to the University of Cape Town, the University of KwaZulu-Natal and the University of Amsterdam. Identities, Identifications and Strategies of Integration of African Migrants in South Africa: A Case Study of Ethiopian, Rwandan, and Senegalese Migrants.
- My research interest includes the urban environment, city life and the Informal economy, Migration and Development, state institutions in Africa.
- B Misgun (2007) ‘Foreign Migrants in the Inner City of Durban’, in Rob Pattman and Sultan Khan (Eds.), Undressing Durban (Durban: Madiba Press), pp. 92-100.
- B. Misgun & W. Oakes (2007) ‘The white and black sands of the Durban Beachfront’, in Rob Pattman and Sultan Khan (Eds.), Undressing Durban (Durban: Madiba Press), pp. 118-125.
- Political Economy of Food in Global Context – first level module
- Political Ecology -Second level module
- Key themes in Development Today -third level module
- Environmental History/Policy
- Comparative Development
- Rural Studies, Gender and Development
- Mzwandile Makhoba, 2011. “An Exploratory Study of Rationales influencing Route Choices of Private Car Owners: Case Study of Bisley, Pietermaritzburg,” Masters Dissertation
- Nospi Khumalo, 2010. “Discourses and practices of diversion: policy and practice of the child justice System” Masters Dissertation.
- Slindile P. Bombo, 2010. “Students’ Mobility and Access to Transport: A Gendered Analysis of University of KwaZulu-Natal Off-campus Students,” Honours Research Project
- Mzwandile Makhoba, 2007. “The influence of the perception of crime on decisions and preferences of routes by private car owners in the Pietermaritzburg Area,” Honours Research Project
- Julio G. Candieiro, 2007. “Cultural Reproduction and Social Capital among Congolese migrants in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa,” Honours Research Project