|Qualifications||BA, HDLIS, BBibl Hons, MIS (Natal)|
|Office No.||Room 313, New Arts Block|
Areas of Responsibility
Co-ordinator the two undergraduate modules – Information literacy and Internet Expertise.
Areas of Teaching
- ACE – Policy and practice.
- Undergraduate – Information literacy; Internet expertise.
- PGDIS – Information sciences and agencies; Management of information agencies.
- LIBRARY & INFORMATION SCIENCE HONS – Information centres management.
- MIS – (1) Core Course: Issues in LIS management (2) Research proposal development.
- MIS (39 students)
- Nkosi, D., Hoskins, R. and Leach, A. 2012. Academic staff expectations of undergraduate students with respect to their use of the library at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg campus. South African journal of libraries and information science 78(2): 79-87.
- Nkosi, D., Leach, A. and Hoskins, R. 2011. Knowledge and use of library resources by academic staff at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg (UKZNP) campus. Innovation: a journal for appropriate librarianship and information work in southern Africa 42 Jun.: 54-78.
- Nkosi, D., Hoskins, R. and Leach, A. 2011. Knowledge and use of library resources by academic staff at the University f KwaZulu-Natal, Pietermaritzburg (UKZNP) campus. Innovation: a journal for appropriate librarianship and information work in southern Africa 42 Jun.: 54-78.
- Ngulube, P. Shezi, S., Leach, A. 2009. Exploring network literacy among students of St. Joseph’s Theological Institute in South Africa. South African journal for library and information science 75 (1): 58-69.
- Ntombela, M., Stilwell, C., Leach, A. 2008. Hello tomorrow? Sources of HIV / Aids information used by residential students at the University of Natal. South African journal for library and information science 74 (1): 73-82.
- Dansoh, W., Stilwell, C., Leach, A. 2007. “The information was hard and tough”: low cost housing information in Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. Libri 57 (4): 1-12.
- Raju, R., Stilwell, C. and Leach, A. 2006. The feasibility of unionising LIS workers : a case study of the tertiary sector. South African journal of library and information science 72 (3): 208-217.
- Mitha, S. and Leach, A. 2006. AIDS in South Africa: a bibliometric study on HIV/AIDS literature in South Africa from 1982-2002. Mousaion 24 (2): 185-210.
- Neerputh, S., Leach A. and Hoskins, R. 2006. Towards establishing guidelines for performance appraisal of subject librarians in KwaZulu-Natal academic libraries. Mousaion 24 (1): 51-74.
- Leach, A. 2006. Alternative funding and the public library sector: an exploratory overview with reference to South Africa. Innovation 32 June: 125-155.
- Neerputh, S., Hoskins, R. and Leach, A. 2006. Towards establishing guidelines for performance appraisal of subject librarians in KwaZulu-Natal academic libraries. Mousaion 41(1): 51-74.
- Burton, S., Stilwell, C. Leach, A. 2002. Rethinking information, development and libraries: some themes and issues. Journal of development communication 13 (2): 75-90.
- Leach, A. 2001. Information provision in a rural context: the perspectives of rural adults and some implications for rural library and information services. South African journal for library and information science 67 (2): 51-62.
- Verbeek, J. and Leach, A. 1999. The development and evaluation of a new filing component for records and document control in the KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa. African journal of libraries, archives and information science 9(2): 103-117.
- Leach, A. 1999. The provision of information to adults in rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, by non-governmental organisations. Libri 49: 71-89.
- Leach, A. 1999. Introducing undergraduates to information retrieval at the University of Natal, Pietermaritzburg. Innovation 18, June: 58-60.
- Leach. A. 1998. An overview of the public library sector in South Africa – post 1994. Innovation 16, June: 3-19.
- Leach, A., Verbeek, J.A. and Stilwell, C.S. 1994. The reading of black South Africans: a historical overview. African journal of libraries, archives and information science 4 (1):1-13.
- Leach, A. 1993. The reading interests of newly literate black adults within the Durban Metropolitan Region. South African journal of library and information science 60 (1), 1993: 47-52.
- Leach, A. and Verbeek, J.A. 1993. The reading habits of adults in Anglophone sub Saharan Africa: a historical overview. African journal of libraries, archives and information science 3 (2): 95-105.
Chapter in Book
- Leach, A. 2001. “The best thing is communicating verbally”: NGO information provision in rural KwaZulu-Natal and some observations relating to library and information services. In Stilwell, C., Leach, A. and Burton, S. (eds.) Knowledge, information and development: an African perspective (as above): 164-186.
Conference Paper and Workshop
- 2001 Presented with C. Stilwell and S. Burton a paper at the Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA) Conference in September. Paper entitled Rethinking information and development: themes and issues from the book Knowledge, information and development: an African perspective.
- 1998 Was one of eight invited participants to the Expert meeting for schools of library and information sciences in Africa regarding training for rural community information services – 5th to 8th May, Dakar, Senegal organised by IFLA’s Africa Section. (Representatives from Namibia, Zambia, Morocco, Ghana and Senegal participated).
- 1991 MIS, University of Natal (Pmb). “The reading interests of the newly literate urban black adult.”
- Stilwell, C., Gentil, B.A. and A. Leach. 2006. Public
access computing services and cost recovery mechanisms for public
libraries: a global survey and analysis: a research study for INASP, 10
July 2006. Pietermaritzburg.
- Contributed to the report (published as a booklet): Model curriculum for rural community information studies. Senegal: Bibliotheque Lecture Developement, 2000. (Final report of the expert meeting on training for rural community information services, Dakar, Senegal, May 1998)
- Leach, A. 1997. Report on the ULIS (Unification of Library and Information Services) Conference. Liwolet 8 (2): 2-4.
- “Information literacy” (December 2010)
- “Public libraries” (June 2006)
- “Highlighting women and information” (December 1999)
- “Public libraries” (June 1998)
- Journal – Innovation:
- South African journal of libraries and information science.
- African journal of libraries, archives and information science.
- Service as an Assessor
- Carnegie Corporation of New York. Project proposal evaluator (various).
Theses and modules:
- University of Zululand; University of the North; University of Fort Hare; Durban University (Institute) of Technolgoy; University of Limpopo; University of the Western Cape; University of Cape Town; University of South Africa; University of Pretoria; Technikon SA; University of Natal (when not employed by the University).