- BA Hons, University of Zimbabwe
- MIS, University of KwaZulu-Natal (UKZN)
- PhD (UKZN)
Records and archives management in national liberation movements, schools and colleges, churches and sports associations.
Records and archives management, information management and Librarianship.
- Garaba, F. 2016. User perceptions about archives at the Lutheran Theological Institute Library, Pietermaritzburg, South Africa. J. Lib. Arch. & Inf. Sc. 26 (1):73-84.
- Garaba, F. 2015. Dodos in the archives: rebranding the archival profession to meet the challenges of the 21st century within ESARBICA. Archives and Records: the Journal of the Archives and Records Association 36 (2):216-225.
- Garaba, F. 2015. Disembodied archives: the disconnectedness of records and archives management practices within the Pietermaritzburg Cluster of Theological Libraries, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Verbum et Ecclesia 36 (1), Art. #1357, 1-20.
- Garaba, F. 2015. Tabernacles of memory revisited: an assessment of the oral history projects in institutional repositories in the Pietermaritzburg Cluster of Theological Libraries (PCTL), KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Information Development 32 (5): 1387-1401.
- Garaba, F. 2014. Preparing collections for digitization: the case of religious archives in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. Verbum et Ecclesia 35 (1) Art.# 1319:1-5.
- Garaba, F. 2014. Religious archives in the East and Southern Africa Branch of the International Council on Archives (ESARBICA): their importance and the need for a national framework. ESARBICA Journal: Journal of the Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives 33:45-56.
- Garaba, F. and Zaverdinos, A. 2014. The Evangelical-Lutheran Church in South Africa: an introduction to its archival resources held at the Lutheran Theological Institute (LTI) Library, and the challenges facing this archive (Part 1 & 2). Missionalia: Southern African Journal of Missiology 42 (1-2):5-28 & 29-37.
- Garaba,F. 2014. From obscurity to frontline: striving for transformation for archives and the archival profession from an advocacy perspective for the Pietermaritzburg Cluster of Theological Libraries (PCTL) in South Africa. ATLANTI: review for modern archival theory and practice 24 (1):259-263.
- Garaba, F. 2013. Capturing the broad spectrum of human experience: some suggestions on the adoption of the hybrid model as an appraisal methodology. ATLANTI: review for modern archival theory and practice 23 (1):185-193.
- Garaba, F. 2013. Collection stewardship constrained by resources: the management of religious archives in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal region. Verbum et Ecclesia 34 (1) Art. # 788:1-11.
- Garaba, F. 2013. The FIFA goals landmark controversy: a case for records keeping in international sports management. ESARBICA Journal: Journal of the Eastern and Southern Africa Regional Branch of the International Council on Archives 32:76-79.
- Garaba, F. 2012. Availing the liberation struggle heritage to the public: some reflections on the use of Web 2.0 technologies in archives within ESARBICA. Information Development 28 (1): 22-31.
- Garaba, F. 2012. The incunabula of African intellectualism and civilization: some reflections on the preservation of the Timbuktu manuscripts. Journal of the South African Society of Archivists 45: 95-102.
- Garaba, F. 2012. Towards public domain management of liberation struggle heritage records in Eastern and Southern Africa. African Journal of Libraries, Archives and Information Science 22 (2):133-142.
- Garaba, F., Stilwell, C. and Ngulube, P. 2011. The microfilm of the new millennium: the digitization of the liberation struggle heritage in east and southern Africa. Innovation: journal of appropriate librarianship and information work in Southern Africa 42: 33-53.
- Garaba, F. An endangered resource: the preservation of liberation struggle archives in east and southern Africa. Africa Research & Documentation 15: 25-36.
- Garaba, F. 2011. Provenance, identification, restitution and management of the liberation struggle heritage in the ESARBICA region. Journal of the South African Society of Archivists 44: 26-42.
- Garaba, F. and Ngulube, P. 2010. Moving with the times in search of permanence: the digitization of “liberation struggle” archives in southern Africa. Historia 55 (2):163 -181.
- Garaba, F. and Ngulube, P. 2008. A framework for an investigation into the management of former national liberation movements’ records and archives by national and private archival institutions in eastern and southern Africa. ESARBICA Journal 27:147-17.
- Garaba, F. 2007. The state of archival appraisal practices in the ESARBICA region. African Journal of Library, Archives and Information Science 17 (1):59-63.
- Garaba, F. 2012. From condemnation to best practices in archival theory and practice worldwide: the Brisbane ICA 2012 Conference in retrospect. ICA Newsletter Flash 25: 1-25.
- Pockets of excellence and mediocrity: the state of archives in South Africa, 1994 -2016. Lecture presented at the International Institute for Archival Science of Trieste (Italy) and Maribor (Slovenia) “IIAS”, 26th IIAS conference, 27 October 2016.
Awards and Honors
- Canon Collins Scholar 2004-2009