- PhD Social Policy Studies (UKZN)
- Masters in Conflict Resolution and Peace Studies (UKZN)
- Honours in Public Policy (UKZN)
- State Diploma in Pedagogy (Institut Sendwe. Kalemie, Republic of Zaire).
- Certificate of basic Primary Education (Ecole Primaire Mwana. Vyura, Republic of Zaire).
- Postdoctoral Research Fellowship for 3 years (University of KwaZulu-Natal)
- Africa knowledge interchange (NRF)
- Excellence Award (University of KwaZulu-Natal, Research Office)
- Best teacher ward by the students (Kigali Independent University)
- Productivity awards (UKZN)
- UKZN competitive grant
- Social entrepreneurship
- Climate change and adaptation
- Natural disaster (Prevention, Management and social change)
- Conflict Resolution and Peace Building
- Political violence
- African indigenous knowledge systems
- Rural development
- Regional integration
- Terrorism and insurgency
I successfully taught and developed modules at both under and postgraduate levels. My teaching satisfies both the needs of general education of students and my own conviction. I developed and taught the following modules:
- Abideen Muhammed Abeeb and Joseph Rudigi Rukema (2020) Assessing Conflict Resolution and Peace Building Strategies in Democratic Systems: Case of Nigeria: Published by: ElivaPress. Chisinau, Republica Moldova
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema (Co-editor): 2017. Africa’s regional integration: A myth or a reality? Book published by Sub-Saharan Africa University Press. Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema (Editor): 2017. Inside the Mind of the Oppressed: An insight into lived experience of colonialism and apartheid in Africa. Book published by Sub-Saharan Africa University Press.Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema (Editor): 2017. Prospects and Challenges in Contemporary Africa: Second Edition. Book published by: Sub-Saharan Africa University Press. Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema (Editor) 2017: Elections and Governance in Africa. Book published by Sub-Saharan Africa University Press. Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema (Author): 2016. People’s resilience and adaptation to drought: South African perspective: Published by: Lap Lambert Publishers, German
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema (Editor): 2016. Thinking and re-thinking Development: Is there an alternative to Africa’s development?Book published by: Sub-Saharan Africa University Press and Africa-International Alumni Association Press. Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo
- Joseph Rudigi Rukema, Jean Bosco NsengiyumvaBinenwa and Kasai Ndahiriwe (co-editor): 2014. Prospects and Challenges in Contemporary Africa: East and Southern Africa. Book published by: Africa- International Alumni Association Press. Goma, Democratic Republic of Congo.
- Nkoko Mosa . Between Hope and Uncertainty: A No Returning Journey of African Graduates from The United States of America To Their Home Countries. A Perspective of Nigerians, Kenyans and South African graduates living in the United States of America
- Barnabas Okere. Policy administration on rural women access and decision making over reproductive resources for sustainable development in Limpopo Province South Africa.
- Mustafa Ahmed Osman. The Political Economy of War in the Horn of Africa: Examining Changing Power Relationships in the Context of Major Wars in the region
- Ntokozo Nzama. How do international platform business create livelihood for migrant workers: the case of foreign born Uber drivers in Durban, South Africa
- SURAJ, Ajijola. Local Wheat Production as a Means of Job Creation in Borno-State, North-East Nigeria.
- While studying towards my Honours in Public Policy at the University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa I worked as a car guard then a security guard. My social and economic background motivated develop a passion for social entrepreneurship and the spirit of community development, which culminated in initiating numerous community projects.
- Out of this passion for entrepreneurship and community development, I founded a community Higher Learning Institution “Sub-Saharan Africa University / Universite de l’Afrique Sub-Saharienne (Goma-Democratic Republic of Congo) which is currently employing 84 people (https://www.subsaharaafricauniversity.com/). Iam its Founding President and President of the Management Council and I have fundraised 100000 USD (American Dollars) toward the construction of university’s infrastructures.
- Through my teaching, I initiated numerous community projects including: Advocacy for Disaster Risk Reduction and Environmental Sustainability as well as United against Gender Based-Violence (ADRRES) www.adrres.org in Rwanda, United against Gender Based-Violence (UAGBV) in South Africa.
- I have also initiated an Association of builders from the informal settlement, Mayville, Durban, South Africa. http://ndabaonline.ukzn.ac.za/StoryPrinter.aspx?id=7524
- Currently, Im initiating “African Centre of Informal Learning and entrepreneurship” in Durban, South Africa. The aim of the centre is to facilitate the acquisition and transfer of knowledge through informal learning. It is hoped that this approach will help those who cannot afford formal education to possess knowledge and skills that will enable them create jobs for themselves or to have opportunity to be employed.
- Social entrepreneurship
- Community development
- Climate change and environment