|Phone||031 260 7347|
|Campus||Howard College Campus|
- BA (1995) BA Honours in Sociology (1996), MA in Sociology (1999), B Administration Honours in Industrial Relations (2000) from the University of Durban-Westville, PGD in Human Resources Management (2002) and PGD in Marketing Management (2003) from the University of Natal-Durban.
Methodology, particularly qualitative methods, Industrial Sociology,
Sociology of Development and Social theory-Classical.
2011 Mtshali, M.N. and Khan, S. 2001. Contemporary Social Issues in Africa: Cases in Gaborone, Kampala, and Durban. In Mapadimeng, M.S.and Khan, S. (eds). Africa Institute of South Africa. Pretoria: South Africa, pp. 254-267. (co-authored with Prof. Sultan Khan)
- 2014 Indigenous Knowledge Systems, Poverty Alleviation and Sustainability of Community-based Projects in the Inanda Region in Durban, South Africa. Stud Tribes Tribals, 12(2): 187-199 (2014). (co-authored with Dr Tanusha Raniga and Prof. Sultan Khan)
- 2013 Re-branding of the Greater St Lucia Wetlands Park in South Africa: Reflections on benefits and Challenges for the Former Town of St Lucia. Journal of Human Ecology, 43(1): 17-28 (2013). (co-authored with Dr Noel Chellan and Prof. Sultan Khan)
- 2012 Challenges Faced by Apiculture SMMES in Northern Hhohho, Swaziland. Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. XXV1, No. 1, Jan-Jun 2012. (co-authored with a Masters student Brenda Masuku)
- 2005 From the frying pan into the fire: Are domestic workers still at risk? A Case Study of Domestic Workers in Rooihuiskraal. South African Labour Bulletin Vol. 29 No.5 October/November 2005, pp.56-57. (co-authored with Dr Elias Cebekhulu)
- 2009 Privatisation in South Africa: A Note. Loyola Journal of Social Sciences, Vol. XX111, No. 2, pp. 223-232, Jul-Dec 2009. (single author)
- 2008 Hostel Re-development and Emerging Conflict for Housing tenure within the Umlazi Tehuis in the eThekwini Municipality: A Study of Key Social Polarization Indicators. Alternation Vol. 13 (2) pp.215-235, October 2006. (co-authored with Prof. Sultan Khan)
Research papers presented at local conferences
Research paper presented (in July 1999) at the SASA Conference in Stellenbosch University, Saldanha Bay, Cape Town
- 1999: Successes and failures of the rehabilitation programmes for male juveniles in Westville Prison, Durban. (authored paper)
Research Paper presented at the South African Sociological Association (SASA) Conference in July 2012- Cape Town
- 2012: Re-branding of the Greater St Lucia Wetlands Park in South Africa: Reflections on benefits and Challenges for the Former Town of St Lucia Prison, Durban. (co-authored paper)
Research papers presented at International Conferences
Research Paper presented (in July 2010) at the XVIII International Sociological Association (ISA) World Congress of Sociology at Gothenburg, Sweden
- 2010: IKS, Poverty Alleviation and Sustainability of Community-Based Programmes and Projects– A Case Study of Inanda in the Urban Renewal Programme of eThekwini (Durban). (co-authored paper)
Research Paper presented (in November 2010) at the International Conference in South Korea
- 2010: Indigenous Knowledge Systems and Feminisation of Poverty – A case study of Single Mothers in Inanda in the Urban Renewal Programme of eThekwini (Durban). (co-authored paper)
Externally funded research in 2010
- I participated in the externally funded project, funded by the KwaZulu-Natal Planning and Development Commission. This research was carried out in various communities around the KZN province, such as Emnambithi (Ladysmith), Mtubatuba (Northern Zululand) and Mount Moria (Durban) and a monograph was produced, titled: Investigation into Liveable and Sustainable Low Income Human Settlements in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal.