|Phone||+27(0)31 260 7240|
|Campus||Howard College Campus|
- BA (1981) and BA Honours in Sociology (1983) University of Durban-Westville
- BA(SS) in Social Work (1996) University of South Africa
- MA Social Policy (1998) University of Durban-Westville
- PhD in Sociology (2000) University of Durban-Westville.
- Registered with the South African Council of Social Services Profession.
- NRF rated scientist
Research Methodology (quantitative and qualitative methods), Project Management, Sociology of Social Issues and Urban Sociology
- (De)Monopolising Paradise – UNISA Press, Pretoria, South Africa. co-edited with Lubna Nadvi (eds)
- Contemporary Social Issues in Africa: Cases from Gaborone, Kampala and
Durban co-edited with Mokong S. Mapadimeng. Published by Africa
Institute of South Africa, Pretoria, South Africa
- “Undressing Durban” Madiba Publishers, University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban co-edited with R. W. Pattman
Papers and Chapters
the Diasporic Roots: A Genealogical Journey into Family History
Alternation Special Edition No. 15 226-248.
it, don’t Criminalise it”: The Cannabis Discourse in South Africa Acta
Criminologica Southern African Journal of Criminology Special
Edition No.3 167-179.
Trans-border migration: Case of Rwandan women migrants in Durban, South Africa
15(2):123-138. (with Rudigi Rukema Joseph)
African Indian Muslim Community and its Role in Responding to International
Disasters in Pratap Kumar (ed) Indian Diaspora: Socio-Cultural and
Religious Worlds, Brill
199-228 (with Gabralla, A.K and Ebrahim A.F.M)
Marriages and Marital Stability amongst the Indian Diaspora in the
Durban Metropolitan Area, South Africa in Pratap Kumar (ed) Indian
Diaspora: Socio-Cultural and Religious
Brill Publishers Boston 177-198 (with Singh S.B.)
and Sustainable Development of Low Income Human Settlements
in KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa Journal of Human Ecology, 50(1): 43-58. (with Wallis M.)
Local Economic Development (LED) and Rural Land Reform Challenges and Prospects in Post-Apartheid South Africa–A Policy Perspective. Journal of Economics Vol. 6 (1):8-17.
- Development Public Policies, Emerging Contradictions and Prospects in the post-Apartheid South Africa in G.L. Ribiero, T. Dwyer, A. Borges and E.Viola (Eds) Social, Political and Cultural Challenges of the BRICS, ANPOCS, Langaa RPCIG, Brazil. 181-206.
- Historical Evolution of Durban’s Public Transport System and Challenges for the Post-Apartheid Metropolitan Government in New Contree Vol. 70. Special Edition:173-194.
- The Theory and Praxis of Local Government – Finding an Ideal Model during the Transitional Period of Democracy in South Africa. Journal of Social Studies. Vol. 1(1):22-46. Inaugural Issue.
- Youth in Conflict with the Law – A Study of the Psycho-socio and Criminogenic Factors of South African Youth in Detention. Journal of Psychology, Vol. 5(2):105-114 (with Singh, S.B).
- The Economics of Transnational Organised Crime (TOC) in the Maritime Domain: Drug Trafficking in Africa and the Southern African Continent. Journal of Social Sciences. Vol. 41(3):523-534 (with Singh, S.B).
- Indigenous Knowledge Systems, Poverty Alleviation and Sustainability of Community-based Projects in the Inanda Region in Durban, South Africa. Studies of Tribes and Tribals Vol 12(2):187-199 (with Mtshali, M. N. G. and Raniga, T).
- “South Africa’s Maritime Security Bazaar”- The Bizarre Arms Deal and Collapse of its Newly Acquired State of Art Frigates to Protect the Maritime Sector. Man in India, 94(3):439-452.
- Introduction Chapter in (De)Monopolising Paradise, Khan S and Nadvi S (eds) Unisa Press, South Africa.
- India and its Diaspora: making sense of Hindu identity in South Africa. Diaspora Studies 7( 1)28–41 (with Gopal, N and Singh, S.B).
- South African Muslim Clergy and its Political Response to Colonialism and Apartheid. Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology 4:83-94.
- Rebranding of the Greater St Lucia Wetlands Park in South Africa: Reflections on Benefits and Challenges for the Former of St Lucia Journal of Human Ecology 43 (1) pp17-28 with Chellan, N and Mtshali, M.
- Exploring the Contributions of Sporting Activities in Promoting Positive Youth Development (PYD) within a Developing Context of South Africa. Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology Special Edition 3 pp 29-39 with Emmanuel Mayeza.
- Interfaith Marriages in the Name of Love: Prospects for Marital Stability amongst a Group of People of Indian Origin in the Durban Metropolitan Area, South Africa. Man In India, 93 (4) pp 607-625 with Shanta B. Singh
- Gender Perceptions of Crime and its Reduction amongst White South Africans in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal. The Oriental Anthropologist Vol.13 (2) pp397-410 with Shanta Balgobind-Singh.
- Chronicling the Effects of the 2008 Xenophobic Attacks amongst a Select Group of Congolese and Burundian Women in the City of Durban. Alternation Special Edition 7 pp 176 – 196 with Rudigi Rukema J.
- South African Indian Muslim Faith Based Organisations (FBOs) Response to International Disasters: Case Study of the Gift of the Givers Foundation . Man In India, 93 (4) pp 713-737 with Gabralla A. K and Ebrahim AFM
- Occupational Health and Safety Framework in the Global Era: A Study of Labour Brokers in the City of Durban Chapter in Yaruingam A.S. and Kapoor R (eds) Inside Africa – Contemporary Perspectives, Centre for African Studies, University of Delhi, Shipra Publisers, India. With Ivan Niranjan
- A Township Moulana’s Impact on the Lives of the Sunni Muslim Congregation in Chatsworth, South Africa and Internationally, in Vahed G and Desai A (eds) Chatsworth. University of KwaZulu-Natal Press, South Africa.
- The Rhetoric of Participation: A Study of the Planning and Development of Low-Income Human Settlements in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal Africanus, Journal of Development Studies Vol.43(1) pp 126 – 143 with Fazel Khan and Jay Govender.
- Urban Sustainability Rhetoric and Neo-liberal Realities: Durban – A city in Transition. Chapter in Book, Michigan State University Press with Brij Maharaj, eds. Igor Vojnovic.
- Religious Co-existence: Tolerance and Contestation amongst Hindu and Muslim Faith Groups of Indian Origin in South Africa Journal of Sociology and Social Anthropology 4(1-2): 149-157.
- Provision of Sustainable and Liveable Low Income Human Settlements in the Province of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa– An Analysis of Policy Contradictions and Challenges Journal of Human Ecology, 40(1): 17-31 (2012) with Fazel Khan.
- Emerging Class Segregation and Social Polarisation in post-Apartheid Durban, South Africa The Oriental Anthropologist, Vol. 12, No. 1, 2012, Pages 67-88 with Stephane Vermeulen
- The “Chatsie Muslim” A Socio-historical Analysis of Muslims of Indentured Origin The Oriental Anthropologist, Vol. 12, No. 2, 2012, Pages 445-461
- Changing Family Forms, Patterns and Emerging Challenges within the South African Indian diaspora Journal of Comparative Family Studies pp.134-150
- The Nature and Extent of Philanthropy Amongst the Rainbow South African Muslim Community Man in India Vol 91 (1) pp 169-193.
- Faith Based Humanitarian Assistance in response to Disasters: A
study of the South African Muslim Diaspora Chapter in Book titled
Comparative Emergency Management: Examining Global and Regional
Responses to Disasters edited by Miller S. DeMond and Rivera, J.A,
Rowan University, New Jersey, Taylor and Francis
- Researching Postmodern Urban Spaces – Reflections on
(re)Searching Gothenburg, Sweden Review Essay in Loyola Journal of
Social Sciences Vol. XXIV No.2 pp204-216.
- Introductory Chapter to book titled Contemporary Social Issues
in Africa – Cases in Gaborone, Kampala, and Durban Published by Africa
Institute of South Africa, Pretoria, South Africa. (with Mokong S.
- Contesting Social Issues in the Pre and Post Democratic South
Africa – The Emergence of New Social Movements Chapter in Book titled
Contemporary Social Issues in Africa – Cases in Gaborone, Kampala, and
Durban Published by Africa Institute of South Africa, Pretoria, South
Africa. (With Mduduzi G. Mtshali).
- Challenges Facing Poverty Relief Projects in the Urban Renewable
Programme of Inanda in the eThekwini Municipality Chapter in Book
titled Contemporary Social Issues in Africa – Cases in Gaborone,
Kampala, and Durban Published by Africa Institute of South Africa,
Pretoria, South Africa.
- Direct Politics: The Struggle for Participative Spaces in Local
Government Decision- Making in Heneicken L and Prozesky H (eds)
Society in Focus – Change, Challenge and Resistance: Reflections from
South Africa and Beyond Cambridge Scholars Publishing, UK (with Jay
- Urban transportation and sustainability in South African Cities
in International Journal of Urban Environment Vol. 4 pp 16-30 (with
- Privatisation of Durban Public Transport and Challenges for an
Emerging Metropolitan Transport Authority – Loyola Journal of Social
Sciences XXIII (2) July-Dec 131-156 (With Benoit Lootvoet and
- ‘Children of a Lesser God’: Contesting South Indian Muslim
Identities in KwaZulu-Natal South African Historical Journal 61 (1)2009
- Contesting Ecotourism Development in the iSimangaliso Wetland
Park (formerly known as the Greater St Lucia Wetlands Park) in
KwaZulu-Natal Alternation Special Edition on Nature and People 15 (1)
268-289 (with Noel Chellan)
- Religion and Development Human Sciences Research Report South
Africa (with Brij Maharaj, Adam Habib, Irwin Chetty, Merle Favis, Pearl
Sithole and Reshma Sookrajh)
- The Clash between Traditional and Modern Systems of Governance
in the Durban Metropolis – A Tale of Two Administrative Civilizations
Alternation Special Edition on Social Polarisation 13(2)174-197 (with
Benoit Lootvoet and Evangelos A. Mantzaris).
- Adapting to Participatory Forms of Development Planning in the
eThekwini Municipality in Africanus – Journal of Development Studies
37(1)66-78 (with Jay P. Govender, and Sathi Moodley)
- Social Polarisation Introductory Chapter Alternation Special Edition 13(2)1-10 (with Rob W. Pattman)
- Public Transport Challenges in Durban – Traveling the Road to
the World Cup 2010 in Undressing Durban 144-155, Madiba Publishers,
University of KwaZulu-Natal, Durban
- Undressing Durban – Introductory Chapter 15-62 Madiba Publishers University of KwaZulu-Natal Durban (with Rob W. Pattman)
- An Exploration of Pupil Enrolment Projections within KwaZulu
Natal: Implication for Teacher Demand analysis – Version 2 South African
Journal ofHigher Education 21(1)163-180 (with Labby Ramrathan and Fazel
- Indigenous Knowledge and the African Curriculum: A case study at
the University of KwaZulu-Natal Alternation Special Edition on
Higher Education, Higher Education Mergers and Africanisation 13
(1)279-297 (with Evangelos A. Mantzaris)
- The state of Philanthropy amongst the Muslim Diaspora in South
Africa in Diaspora Brill publishers Boston. (with Mohsin A. F. Ebrahim)
- Transcending Traditional forms of Governance: Prospects for
Co-operative Governance and Service Delivery in Durban’s Tribal
Authority Areas. Transformation – Critical Perspectives on Southern
Africa Vol 62 84-117 (with Benoit Lootvoet and Shahid Vawda)
- Privatisation, Worker Compromise and the Emergence of Quasi-Monopolies:
The case of Durban Transport South African Labour Bulletin 29(2)
- Privatisation for a Better Regulation? Durban’s challenge for a
better public Transport Autrepart Vol (32) 75 – 94 (Adrian Bellengere,
Benoit Lootvoet B and StephaneVermeulin)
- An Exploration of Pupil Enrolment Projections within KZN:
Implications for Teacher Demand Analysis Version 1 in Bulletin for
Academic Staff and Students School of Educational Studies UKZN 14 (1)
72-88 (with Labby Ramrathan and Fazel Khan)
- Rich Cities: Poor Citizens – Decentralisation and Service
Delivery Prospects in South African Metropolises Journal of Critical
Dialogue 1(1)34-39 Centre for Public Participation, Durban.
- Tribal Authority and Service Delivery in the Durban Uni-City in
Government, Governance and Urban Territories in Southern Africa,
Proceedings of the International Symposium, (eds) Mulenga, M and
Durbresson A, Lusaka, University of Zambia, 155 – 180 (with Benoit
- The causes of Marital Breakdown amongst the Disapora of Muslims
of Indian Origin in Indian Journal of Social Work Vol 63 Issue 3 April
2002 378-403 (with Louw-Haardt Stears).
- Infrastructure, Service Delivery and Local Government in Hindson
D, Freund B, Lootvoet B and Bouillon A (eds) Governance, Urban Dynamics
and Economic Development: A comparative analysis of the metropolitan
areas of Durban, Abidjan and Marseilles Plumline Publishers Durban
South Africa. 297-310 (with Benoit Lootvoet)
- Decentralisation in South Africa and its Cities: The Challenge in Durban Autrepart Vol 21101 118 (with Benoit Lootvoet)
- Youth Participation in the Labour Force: Globalisation and Some
critical Junctures for Youth Employment Policies in the post-Apartheid
South Africa in Szell G, Chetty D, Chouraqi A (eds) Participation ,
Globalisation and Culture: International and South African
Perspectives Peter Lang Frankfurt Germany. 285-303 (with David
- Tribal Authority and Service Delivery in the Durban Uni-City in
Proceedings of International Symposium on Government, Governance and
Urban Territories in Southern Africa Mark C. Mulenga and Alain
Dubresson (eds) 115-182 University of Zambia
- Urban Reconstruction, Development and Planning in the new South
Africa: The Case of Durban in Dandekar H.C. (ed) City Space and
Globalization – An International Perspective Michigan USA 143-150
(with Brij Maharaj)
- Restructuring the Apartheid City – Cato Manor: “A Prime Urban
Reconstruction Opportunity” Urban Forum Volume 9 No. 2 197-223 (with